DIY Turmeric Teeth Whitening Recipe
It may seem wildly counterintuitive to fill your mouth with a spice known to stain everything it touches and hope for pearly whites BUT this is in fact exactly what you need to do. Not only is this DIY teeth whitening recipe super simple, it’s completely natural and hardly costs a thing.
In addition to whitening your teeth, turmeric’s antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties make this golden toothpaste a cleaning powerhouse for your gums and mouth. When mixed with virgin coconut oil, also revered for its anti-bacterial properties, the paste pulls stains and toxins from your teeth and all parts of your mouth. You might have heard of oil-pulling, known as “kavala” or “gundsha” in ancient Ayurveda medicine, which involves swishing coconut oil around your mouth for 10-20 minutes to pull out toxins and improve health and immunity. If you don’t have that long (or the patience for it), think of our DIY Turmeric Teeth Whitening ritual as a mini-version that still works wonders.
Honestly, is there anything turmeric can’t do?
- 1 shot of Shot of Gold pure turmeric powder (buy it here)
- ½ tablespoon unrefined coconut oil
- Thoroughly mix the turmeric powder and coconut oil in a small bowl
- Using a clean toothbrush, apply the paste to the fronts of your upper and lower teeth
- Chill out for 5 minutes! This paste needs to get to work.
- Brush with the paste as if you were brushing with your regular toothpaste
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water
- Brush your teeth with your regular toothpaste and voila! A brighter smile with absolutely no trace of yellow.
- Brush your tongue and lips too
- Add baking soda (start with ¼ tablespoon in the above recipe)
- Repeat frequently!
Show us your bright whites on Instagram @myshotofgold and shop our single-serving turmeric shots on www.shotofgold.com Our packaged shots make it easy and mess-free to add turmeric to your foods, beverages, skincare and yes, oral routine.
READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON HEALTHY IS HOT BY CHLOE WILDE HERE.